Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's wheat, it's barley, it's rye...oh my!!!

 So, the post before last was from June of 2010. I talked about how I was having health problems and was worried what it might be. Well, after numerous tests and vials of blood taken I found out I was gluten intolerant. What is that you say?  Basically, its an allergy to wheat, rye and barley. My body cannot process it and it has caused me digestive issues for years.


For the past seven months I have been reading articles, medical journals, food labels and experimenting with flours I didn't even know existed. Finding substitutes and trying my hardest to resist temptation in the mist of special occasions and holidays. 

Have you ever tried gluten free bread? Its sad. Its very dense, has a different flavor and you usually find it in the frozen section of the grocery store. I hate freezing anything and double hate defrosting anything. I miss fresh, warm, crusty, artisan bread.

Now, being gluten free isn't all bad. I feel amazing now that I don't suffer from digestive problems. I lost 20 lbs over the course of four months. There are a lot of delicious foods I can have. And again, I feel wonderful!

I'm now facing a challenge...I need to find meals that my husband will like. For me, becoming gluten free was a challenge but going gluten free for him would be almost impossible. He loves everything fried, greasy and breaded. Those are obvious no-nos in the gluten free world. I have about four and a half months left until he comes home and I need to hurry and find dinners he'll like! Wish me luck on this new quest...I'll need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment