Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge

 In today's challenge I must introduce myself, post a recent picture and give 15 interesting facts about myself. I'm only doing 10 because 15 seems excessive. So, here we go!


Above is a picture of me from a week ago. I took it to show my husband how beautiful the flowers were that he sent me. They were so huge they couldn't all fit in the picture but my husband insisted I had be in the picture. 

I'm 24 years old. I label myself as a wife, a momma to our sweet dog, Navarro, and as a student. I enjoy volunteering during my free time. Unfortunately, I had to put my volunteer work on the back burner this semester because my course load is outrageous. I normal volunteer as a patient companion for a local non-profit hospice. I enjoy working with the elderly above all others and they bring me more joy and wisdom than I could have ever expected getting into this field. My major is social work and I one day hope to work for a hospice, or for the Department of Veterans Affairs. I am the treasurer for my husband's company FRG group and I enjoy supporting other military spouses. When I'm not working, volunteering or doing school work, I like to practice yoga, and take my dog on long walks around the neighborhood. I also enjoy cooking.

Interesting Fact #1: I just started drinking cow's milk for the first time in probably 15 years last year. I'm not saying I didn't eat things that contained milk (i.e., yogurt, cheese, etc) I just didn't drink milk straight up. The smell. The taste. The look. It all grossed me out. My husband is a milk-a-holic and after watching waaaaay too many documentaries one week I decided to switch him over to organic. I brought home the milk while he was at work, and when we came home he poured himself a cup to go with his dinner and took a sip. I asked him what he thought; he looked at me like I was crazy.

"What do you mean, what do I think? Think of what?" he was confused.

"The milk."

"What about my milk? What did you do to my milk?!" It was like he thought I replaced his milk with some kind of placebo. Was this another one of my crazy experiments again? I've been known for sneaking in all kinds of "weird" things into our meals, i.e., "veggie cheese," fake meat etc. This no longer happens since I'm now gluten free.

"I switched you to organic, how does it taste?"

A sigh of relief came over him, "Oh, ok. It tastes good..." he takes another sip like he's sampling a fine wine, "actually it tastes even better than the regular stuff. Wanna try?" He tries to hand me his glass. I pause. A shiver runs up my spine.

"Umm..." I pause again, "...ok." I hesitate for a moment, and then take a sip. To my delight it was good. Really good! And so from that day on I have been drinking milk.

Interesting Fact #2: My husband was my only boyfriend I ever had. I know. It’s crazy, right? I’ll have to tell the full story one day.

Interesting Fact #3: I had never heard of or tried greens until 2006. This was a shock to my Midwestern husband (then boyfriend) who grew up with his southern stepmom’s cookin’ (you have to say it like that when referring to southern cooking…or at least I have to lol).


Interesting Fact #4: I haven’t been back to my hometown since I left in 2007. We’re planning a trip for next winter.

Interesting Fact #5: I love waking up early.


Interesting Fact #6: I’m pretty tall for a woman. I stand at 5’10”. One of my friend’s actually gave me the nickname Ginormica; she’s 5’1” so it makes sense. I love being tall and I love helping the short people out in the grocery store reach the things on the top shelf…I’ve been doing that since I was 10 years old but then it was library books.

Interesting Fact #7: Because I’m so tall I have ridiculously large feet…size 10 or 11 to be exact. This has always been fun…NOT! It seems shoe stores only like to carry one or two pairs for each style.

Interesting Fact #8: I pretty much never pay retail price for anything. Exhibit A: My Dyson I bought about a month ago. It retails for $399.99 and higher. I got it for $216 with a 30% off coupon and a gift card.

Interesting Fact #9: I have always disliked cartoons. It shocks people that I have never seen a full episode of the Simpsons or South Park. Even when I was little I didn’t like watching cartoons, I preferred Sesame Street, Lamb Chop, and Mr. Rodgers. I guess I didn’t have a problem with puppets lol.

Interesting Fact #10: My favorite flowers are lilies, preferably white lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment